Dark chunk chocolate cookies are cosmic hunks of delicious happiness full of sweet chocolatey nuggets that take chocolate chip cookies to the next level!
These spectacular bakery-style chocolate chunk cookies are my favorite chocolate chip cookies ever! Chewy, chunky, with crisp edges and spot-on flavor!
If you already have a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, get ready for it to move down to second place! These babies will knock your socks off with their fabulous texture and perfect taste! Well, at least that’s what they did for me!
WHAT ARE THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHUNKS FOR COOKIES?
You can buy a bag of chocolate chunks in the baking aisle at your local supermarket, and they’ll make delicious cookies. But to take your cookies to the next level, try chopping a bar of a high-quality semi-sweet chocolate bar.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
- Flour: You must measure the flour correctly to get the recipe’s intended results. Use the super-easy spoon-and-sweep.
- Baking Powder
- Leavening Agents: Baking soda is the main leavening agent in your scrumptious chocolate chunk cookies recipe, but the bread flour and the eggs help too.
- Salt: While you may be tempted to skip the salt in your cookie recipe, you shouldn’t! In the right amounts, salt enhances the flavor. It’ll coax out that rich sweet flavor you’re looking for.
- Butter: This recipe calls for unsalted butter. You’ll be adding salt later, making it easier to control the amount. Also, ensure your butter is softened but still cold enough to cream your sugar correctly. Butter will stretch and expand during the creaming process, and its ability to do so tops out at a mere 68°F. 65°F is the ideal temperature for butter.
- Brown Sugar: Remember to pack the brown sugar firmly. This is one of the ingredients that contribute to the chewy texture. I prefer dark brown sugar, but if you prefer, you can use light brown sugar.
- White Sugar: You’ll use a combination of white granulated and dark brown sugar. This combo gives you the most decadent confection that’s just slightly crispy on the outside.
- Eggs: They contribute moisture, add structure and even aid in rising. The extra egg yolk helps to create a chewy texture.
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate: Now we’re getting down to business!! You’ll need the semisweet and dark chocolate chunks to make this one work. – And trust me, it’s worth it.
- Flaky Sea Salt: To turn these into salted chocolate chunk cookies, I sprinkle the cookies when they come out of the oven with a bit of flaky sea salt.
WHAT IS THE SECRET TO A CHEWY COOKIE?
Well, it comes down to a few things. Chewy cookies contain more ingredients with a high moisture content which ultimately incorporates more moisture into the batter. In this recipe, brown sugar and the extra egg yolk are ingredients that add water.
Resting the dough in the refrigerator also increases chewiness. Measuring the flour correctly is crucial so you don’t inadvertently add too much will dry out the batter.
How the dark chunk chocolate cookies are formed, flattened out, or left tall, is also a contributing factor. We leave our dough nice and tall to add to the chewy texture.
These are the absolute best chocolate chunk cookies. Chewy, thick, and SO buttery, you’ll love all the gooey and delicious chunks of dark chocolate. Sprinkle with a little sea salt, and let the rich dark chocolate flavor explode with each bite!
Fresh out of the oven, these chocolate chunk cookies are a bit crispy, fluffy, and soft on the inside. A tall glass of milk is required.